Healthy recipe: Vegan burger with a vegetable patty
For 6 burgers / 1h10
- 6 burger buns, cut into 2 in width
- 2 tbsp olive oil,
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 carrot of medium size, grated
- 1/2 celery, thinly sliced
- 120g of kale, stems removed,
- 120g mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 tbs.c dried thyme
- 1 tbs.c dried oregano
- 1 tbs.c salt,
- 1 pinch of black pepper,
- 225g of slightly overcooked green lentils
- 225g cooked brown rice
- 160g oatmeal (ground oats)
- 3 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 tbs/c nutritional yeast
- 120g chopped walnuts
- 80g dried blueberries
- 1 tbs.c caper brine (or lemon juice/vinegar)
- 1 tbs/c olive oil
- approx. 20 Brussels sprouts, tips removed, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- salt, pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- 1st step: Peel, cut, chop all the vegetables.
- In two different pots filled with water, cook the lentils and rice.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large frying pan and heat over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, carrot, celery and kale. Sauté until the onion is translucent.
- Add mushrooms, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper. Continue cooking until the vegetables are tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the sautéed vegetables, cooked green lentils, cooked brown rice, oatmeal, ground flaxseed, nutritional yeast, nuts, dried blueberries and caper brine. Mix VERY well, crushing the mixture to help the ingredients bind to each other. Taste and adjust seasoning (salt and pepper) as needed.
- Note: If the mixture does not fit together easily, mix about 1/3 of the mixture using a food processor or blender.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Distribute the mixture to make cakes the width of a large cup and about 1cm thick.
- Brush both sides of the cakes with olive oil.
- Bake on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper for 15 minutes, turn over and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Mix the blueberries.
- Remove the patties from the oven and cover with blueberry coulis on one side.
- Return to the oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until the blueberry glaze is taken.
- Start the 2nd step: in a large pan, heat the olive oil on high heat. Add the grated Brussels sprouts and minced garlic. Sauté briefly, until the coleslaw is tender but crispy. Salt, pepper and remove from heat.
- Lightly toast the buns in the oven for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, make a vegan mayonnaise.
- Dressing: On the bread below, spread mayonnaise, add the cake and blueberry icing, then garnish with Brussels sprout salad and top bread.