Healthy recipe: spicy black bean soup
For 4 people
Ingredients for vegetables:
- 4 tomatillos, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 large red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 large poblano pepper, halved and seeded
- 1 jalapeño pepper, halved and seeded
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Salt pepper
Ingredients for the soup:
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon of ground coriander
- 1 cup low sodium broth
- 2 x 500g cans of black beans, rinsed
- 1 can of 500g grilled diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Cilantro leaves, for serving if desired
- Heat the grill. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss the tomatillos, garlic, onions, poblanos and jalapeños with oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Flip the peppers and grill every 5 minutes until the vegetables are tender and charred, 15 minutes.
- Discard the skins of the poblanos pepper and garlic. Finely chop the rest of the vegetables and transfer them to the pot to prepare the soup. Add the cumin and cilantro and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes. Add broth, beans and tomatoes and bring to a boil; cook for 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the pickled onion: Mix the red onion with the lemon juice and a pinch of salt and pepper; let stand for at least 10 minutes. Serve the soup garnished with pickled onions and cilantro.